Thursday, February 28, 2008

Show Review: Quarterlife

Quarterlife started out as a web show that got the green light for real live television. I think, after watching the first episode, it should have stayed on the web. It's not that the show is terrible, it is pretty basic and unremarkable. But, it does suffer from the fatal flaw of most shows in this vain. It is unlike any life you have ever known, and the dialogue is ridiculous.

Shows like Dawson's Creek, My So Called Life and Felicity made us believe that young people sit around and talk in these deep and flowery ways, asking each other probing and provocative questions. And there is so much tension between people, it is a forgone conclusion that sex is just a few episodes away. Who do you know who has a life like that? Most of the time when you are out with friends, it is just random nothing talk. And, I don't secretly want to sleep with everyone in my circle of friends. (I know this will disappoint some)

This show, Quarterlife, centers on Dylan, a lowly employee at a magazine, who does a video blog that is suddenly popular and revealing secrets left and right. Totally typical, no? Dylan is in love with her friend Jed, who is in love with his best friend's girl. Then, of course there is the obligatory slut, who is hot but has low self esteem, so she sleeps around. Classic.

It was no surprise to me when I heard that this show's ratings sucked. It is just so lame. Navel-gazing-self-important crap. Sure, when you're young, you are self involved. Hell, most people are their whole lives. But, if that is the case, then at least make the characters interesting. I don't care what happens to Dylan, or her friends. But, if I had to guess, I would say the angst and heartache will be horrible and super depressing. I'm not going to stick around to find out. And, you shouldn't either.

No comments: