Sunday, January 22, 2006

Hey Mercedes: Loses Control


One of my greatest regrets was never getting to see the band live. I missed several chances to do so, and now that they are no more (they played their farewell show in Chicago in April '05) this record remains one that is burning up my iPod. I never get tired of hearing the powerful, chunky guitars and catchy melodies that fill this record. It also contains some of my favorite lyrics like "and in the madness of it all/there's a phone call coming/from a ragged Romeo in Jolliet." Their imagery and word choice makes you feel, without any of the emo snivel. I've heard this band and this record put into many categories, but whatever genre or subgenre you want to put it in, the record just rocks. Stand out tracks for me are "Lashing Out" and "Quality Revenge at Last." I'm sorry that they are gone, but Hey Mercedes "Loses Control" will be on my Top 25 most played for a long time to come.

No comments: