Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Cribs: The New Fellas


There is nothing worse on earth than going to see a concert and having to sit through a shitty opening act. Most of the time, I skip the opening act entirely, if their reputation precedes them. But, on my recent pilgrimage to see Franz Ferdinand and Death Cab for Cutie with my cousin, the Cribs were the opening band. Not knowing a thing about them, and with no where else to go, we decided to listen. I'm glad we did. These Brits, in keeping with the tradition of acts like Babyshambles and the Libertines, rocked.

The threesome from Wakefield, England, kicked through song after song of snotty, energetic pop. So, I decided to go out and buy the record. While lacking a little energy of the live show, I have to say the record did not disappoint. Tracks like "Hey Scenesters!" and "Mirror Kisses" showcase the band's pop-punk energy and swagger best. Top to bottom, I have to say that the Cribs certainly know how to get your head bobbing. So, go put on your tightest pants, your most ironic Girl Scout t-shirt, your horn-rimmed glasses and listen to the Cribs rock like only nerdy Brit boys can. You won't be sorry.

No comments: