Friday, June 16, 2006

Great Expectations

As you all know, I've been going to a lot of concerts lately. Every time I'm getting ready to go, I am giddy with anticipation. I can't wait to see the band, hear what their going to play, creating my dream set list in my head. I admit, when paying money to see a band, I have certain expectations.

I want to see passion, I want to see excitement, and yes, I want to hear the hits. I don't think this is too out of the ordinary. No one wants to see the Stones and not hear "Satisfaction." I am not, however, one of those people who feels the need to call out song names. That has always irritated me. Because, if it's the name of a popular song, you have to think that it occurred to the band to play it, before you mentioned it. And, if it's obscure, the person is so obviously doing it to try and sound hip and cool.

When we saw Dinosaur Jr, they had reformed the original line up, so they were not going play anything but the first three albums, which featured the original members. That was fine with me, but I'm sure there were some in the crowd upset by not hearing "Feel the Pain." The first two times I saw Morrissey, I remember talking with friends about how great it would have been to hear some old Smiths tunes. But, he didn't play them. Now he does. Most bands, if they've been around for a while, could play for hours and still not get to everything, so sometimes you just have to let some of the big songs go. It may suck, but it's a fact of life. Nine Inch Nails didn't play "Hurt", but I am willing to overlook it, since they kicked ass.

And, don't make me beg you for an encore. I am more than fine with you just playing for about 2 hours and then saying goodnight. Don't leave the stage and make me clap for 10 minutes to bring you back, when you were going to anyway. I understand that encores have become the norm, but I could do without them. Just play the show and let me go, especially if I've had to stand all night. I'm old you know, I can't do it anymore.

And, please for the love of God, don't be one those artists who disowns their old work, and wants to "live in the present." (Yes, Madonna and Billy Corgan, I'm talking to you) Those songs made you, and if you never recorded and sang them, you wouldn't be where you are today. So, listen guys, if you have that monster hit, you're going to be playing it forever. Deal with it. I'm sure the money and the stuff and the thousands of adoring fans can lessen the pain. Remember why you loved it so much in the first place, and let's hear it. . . Once more, with feeling. . .

1 comment:

Greazy Tony said...

It's all so true Inky. All I can think about at shows these days is Homer yelling at B.T.O "TCB, and get to the workin' over time part!"