Sunday, June 25, 2006

Top 25 Albums, Part 1

Well, here it is. My Top 25 albums. These albums all mean a great deal to me. They either mark a significant time in my life, a real turning point for me musically or they just plain kick ass. Sorry, there is really no profound new ground here. No Miles Davis, Beatles or anything like that. Just the stuff that keeps me going to this day; the stuff that never gets old and probably never will. The stuff that, for the most part, takes me back to a great place in my life. And, to a large extent, became the soundtrack to my life.

25) Madonna - Like a Virgin
This was the first LP I owned that didn't have a picture of Barbie on it. It was also from a time when I loved, nay, worshiped Madonna. I had my walls plastered with her pictures, the jelly bracelets, everything. I memorized every dance and every move. She was sexy, intimidating and awesome. I wanted to be her so bad, but knew I never could. The songs, in my opinion, are still her best.

24) Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
If Madonna was the sexy woman I could never be, Cyndi was the crazy chick I could be if my parents would just let me dye my hair orange. She was manic and fun and an amazing song writer. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is still one of my favorite songs. It was a battle cry, before I was even old enough to know what kind of "fun" I wanted to have. Classic.

23) The The - Mind Bomb
Edgy, moody, British. All the things that us young and clueless hipsters wanted so desperately to be. This album was full of dark images, religion, sex and Matt Johnson's amazing and haunting voice. It didn't hurt that my brother's college roommate was a fan, and I had a huge crush on him. It was just perfect for the budding rebel in me.

22) They Might Be Giants - Flood
One of my all time favorite albums to sing along to. It was full of the most ridiculous and fun songs. Whether or not they make any sense, I can't tell you. But, who needs to understand "Triangle Man" or "Birdhouse in Your Soul"? You just love them. And, I did. Still one album that can always lift my mood.

21) Ween - The Pod
The first Ween LP I owned. Amazing, crazy and full of so much energy. These guys were as weird as anything I had ever heard, and I fell in love with their outrageous style. They were quasi-local and it made them seem more accessible and down to earth. The legend is the boys had mono when they recorded this record, and that supposedly led to the craziness. Who knows? While subsequent releases may be "better" this one will always be my favorite.

So, there are the first 5, more to come. . .

No comments: